The Byrd Theatre Foundation seeks its first Executive Director to further the implementation of the Strategic plan, and, to provide planning and management of the organization including: theater operations, educational programs, partnerships, community use, human resources and fund development. The Executive Director reports to the Board of Directors.
Listed on the State and National Registers of Historic Landmarks, the Byrd Theatre opened ninety years ago on December 24, 1928. Located in the heart of Richmond, Virginia’s Carytown and museum district, the Theatre has remained operational and nearly unchanged since the day construction was completed. The Theatre has entertained and educated residents and visitors, businesses and civic groups, teachers and students through film offerings and festivals, film-related community events and performances, tours, partnerships and more. The Byrd Theatre Foundation, owner of the Byrd, was established in 2001 as a 501(c)(3) not-for-profit corporation. The mission of the overall organization is to expand the big screen experience, celebrate the art of cinema and preserve Virginia’s grand motion picture palace. The vision is to elevate the Byrd’s landmark position among American theaters as a center for film that continues to provide the broadest possible public access to exceptional cinematic experiences. Now a compelling strategic plan is guiding extensive restoration and improvements; and, expansion of programs and capacity-building for growth – to ensure its future as a valued community and cultural resource.
Qualifications sought: Demonstrated experience and knowledge in leading and managing a film-related entity or similar sector; effective management of and support to non-profit boards, staff and volunteers; development of programs, partnerships and revenues (earned and philanthropic); and strong communications and human relations skills.
Responsibilities Include: (in coordination with related Board committees and staff)
1. Producing and overseeing the annual plan which includes objectives, program aims, theatre operations, strategies and measurement toward outcomes and support of the Strategic Plan.
2. Developing programs and community partnerships that support mission and expand audiences.
3. Drafting and managing the annual operating budget and strategies for diversifying revenues. Managing special funds for capital and special projects.
4. Developing, managing and strengthening the Board of Directors, staff and volunteers.
5. Helping lead fundraising efforts, especially major gifts and potential public support.
6. Enhancing the visibility, branding and value of the Byrd among all target constituencies as a unique cultural, community resource. (Target constituencies include: government officials, business and civic leaders, major donors, community groups, schools, patrons and prospective audiences, cultural partners, and the media.)
Submit cover letter, resume, 3 initial references and compensation history below or send to: [email protected]
Help support The Byrd Theatre's commitment to expand the big screen experience, celebrate the art of cinema, and preserve Virginia’s grand motion picture palace.