The Byrd is introducing new programming in celebration of artoberVA, a month long celebration of art and culture during October in honor of National Arts and Humanities Month, hosted by CultureWorks and their sponsors.
artoberVA OPENER: THE WIZ (1978, G)
Oct 1 @ 10a: Ease on down to the Byrd, this Saturday for the fantasy adventure retelling of The Wizard of Oz, where an all-star, all-black cast infuses L. Frank Baum’s masterpiece with a dazzling mix of rock, gospel, and soul music. Family Classics takes a powerful opening act, as The Wiz leads an impressive artoberVA lineup.
When Harlem schoolteacher Dorothy (Diana Ross) tries to save her dog from a storm, she’s miraculously whisked away to an urban fantasy land called Oz. As Dorothy goes in search of the Wiz (Richard Pryor) to help her get back to Manhattan, she’s joined by the Scarecrow (Michael Jackson), the Tin Man (Nipsey Russell) and the Cowardly Lion (Ted Ross).
Tickets just $1.99. Box Office opens at 9:30 am.
Introducing BIG SCREEN CLASSICS
Jimmy Stewart, Grace Kelly, Humphrey Bogart, Elizabeth Taylor, Gene Kelly, Paul Newman, and Bing Crosby will be back on the Big Screen at the Byrd Theatre, part of a new monthly cinema series beginning next week. Hitchcock’s Vertigo opens the series, Wednesday, October 5 at 7:15 pm; and Rear Window screens later in the month, Sunday, October 16 at 2 pm.
The Byrd continues expansion of regular programming with BIG SCREEN CLASSICS. Classic movie fans will have two opportunities a month to enjoy movies that are best seen on the Byrd’s big screen. First Wednesdays at 7:15 pm will feature more eclectic titles — Cinema for Cinephiles; and third Sundays will host broader appeal Hollywood Favorites at 2 pm. Tickets are $4.99.
FULL MONTH LINEUP
- Sat, 10/1 @10a: The Wiz
- Sun, 10/2 @2p: VCUarts Cinema First Cut Screenings
- Wed, 10/5 @715p: Vertigo
- Sat, 10/8 @2p: Despicable Me, VCU CARES Clinic Fundraiser
- Thu, 10/13 @7p: The VCU Brandcenter presents: AICP 2016
- Sat, 10/15 @2p: Sensory-Friendly Screening
- Sun, 10/16 @2p: Rear Window
- Sun, 10/16 @7p: Ran, VA Shakespeare Initiative, hosted by the Byrd Theatre and Quill Theatre
- Tue, 10/18 @7p: The Byrd & WCVE present Hamilton’s America Preview Screening & Celebration
- Sat, 10/22 @10a: Wallace & Gromit: The Curse of the Were-Rabbit
- Fri, 10/28 @830a: TEDxRVAWomen
- Fri, 10/28 @730p: Phantom Of The Opera (1925) with Michael Britt at The Mighty Wurlitzer
- Sat, 10/29 @10a: Casper (1995)
- Sat, 10/29 @10a: Scarytown, trick-or-treating in Carytown!
- Sun, 10/30 @2p: Young Frankenstein, Leukemia/Lymphoma Society Fundraiser
Schedule subject to change. Always check http://byrdtheatre.com/ for updated showtimes and pricing information.